Friday, September 14, 2007

Solidarity with the poor

But what if you are poor? What do you have to offer the kingdom then? What if you're struggling just to survive? Then those inspiring books couldn't posibly mean anything to you. People who "give up everything" still have the sainthood of having made that choice. I'm not poor, not even a little bit, but who am I to pretend that I have so much to give? I'm not even being responsible for what I have been given. I was jumping off the walls just hours ago to imagine ways that we could serve as a community. I guess that's the only part that really makes sense right now. Community. That's more at the heart of life then who has what or who gives what. To be more specific, I'm starting to hate substitute teaching. But I hate the idea of getting a real teaching job even more. I've tried for years to break into something I really want to do, and I just keep loosing ground. It's so amazing to think of being able to give and serve, but it feels like that's only possible when you're coming from a position of strength. Still, that can't be true. We are "created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepares in advance for us to do".

No comments: