Monday, June 11, 2007

The Quest for Courage

Today I woke up with a free day ahead of me. I spent half an hour staring at my seascape painting, trying to find the inspiration to work on it which I never found. I was weighed down by stress, made worse when I got the news that my parks and rec "contract" for teaching art had fallen through. However, this crazy thing I'm trying is so great! I get to seriously trust God and watch disappointments turn into blessings. This afternoon there was quite a rainstorm! I went running in the rain, and that helped to wash away a good portion of the stress.

Orange blossoms like a prayer,
bless this trembling evening air.
Gentle wind and distant thunder
wisper, "these are days of wonder!"

I found a little bit of courage in this old file folder box I've been going through. I found all the CEF stuff I'd made for our Good News Club in little Mexico. It's good to remember how much passion I had. It was so old school, it makes me laugh. It's good to see all the materials I made, how many crazy things we tried, and how much we loved those kids. Crazy to think some of them might be in college by now...

I also found my old Teen Missions song book. How can I throw that away? "Walking on the heavenly road, I'm gonna lay down my heavy load, 'cause Jesus said he'd walk along with me. Praise God! Glory Hallelujia!" Again, so old school. I love it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful poem that captures a first rainfall of the summer. My gentle friend, how I pray for springs of encouragement for you on this pilgrimage through a dry, dusty land.

Love,
Christy